Friday, May 02, 2008

'Violet Hill'


It pains me to say it, but I like Coldplay's new song 'Violet Hill.' I had every intention of listening to it once, dismissing it as garbage before moving on to the next disposable mp3, but dammit, it ain't half bad. Admittedly, Coldplay's singles are occasionally good and almost always comfortable, even pleasant. That's the perfect word for Coldplay: Pleasant. They could never be offensive to the ears, but I think it's because they are so damn unoffensive...this is what gets under my skin. Then there's that painfully sincere, self-righteous thing goin' on, almost of the U2 variety. Ick. I don't know. It's easy to hate a band like Coldplay, even trendy. I like scores of bands who write "pretty" songs, so I don't know why these guys bug me so much. I'm sure a part of it is that natural inclination of mine to stubbornly resist what the masses embrace. It's an annoying trait of mine, just ask my wife. Anyway...for now I'll give Chris Martin and co. the benefit of the doubt based on this latest single and I'll even give the entire Eno-produced album, obnoxiously titled Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends, a fleeting moment of attention.

No comments: