Sunday, October 05, 2008

Pointless List #1 - participation encouraged

Without permission, I'm posting this e-mail chain recently begun by CV, a friend of mine in Austin. Since it's music-related and I do love lists, I wanted to share it with the hope that any readers might contribute in the comments.

------
From CV:
So here is a list of my favorite songs from five different loosely defined genres. I've picked these genres because I feel that, with some degree of confidence, I can reasonably pick a favorite song from them. Obviously this task would be far too hard without much more thought than I have put into this for a genre like "Rock" or "Pop" or something. But within these cherry picked and ill-defined genres, here is my best attempt at naming my favorite songs:

Electronic: Gamma Goblins - Infected Mushroom

Metal: Revolution is My Name - Pantera

Pop R&B: You Make Me Wanna - Usher

Rap: Bust a Move - Young M.C.

Industrial: Closer - Nine Inch Nails

------
From SS:

Here's mine, for now..

Electronic: Barbers Adagio For Strings - (Ferry Corsten Remix)

Metal: I get it - Chevelle

Pop R&B: One More Try - Timmy T

Rap: Jump Around - House of Pain

Industrial: Closer - Nine Inch Nails

Can I make up my own genres?

Piano Rock: Vienna - The Fray

Blues Rock: 3x5 - John Mayer

------
From JTM:
I can't resist. I'll give this a shot using the constraints of your chosen genres. I may have to put in more than one song per genre, too. Sorry if that is a violation of the rules.

Electronic:
The Big Ship - Brian Eno
Little Fluffy Clouds - The Orb
Hyper-Ballad - Bjork
Everything In Its Right Place - Radiohead

Metal:
War Pigs - Black Sabbath
Thunderstruck - AC/DC
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) - Metallica
Hangar 18 - Megadeth

Pop R&B:
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
Superstition - Stevie Wonder
Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
Sign 'O' The Times - Prince

Rap:
Sabotage - Beastie Boys
California Love - 2Pac
Fight the Power - Public Enemy
Adrenaline! - The Roots

Industrial: This is the hardest genre category, since it's by far the most narrow on the list.
Head Like a Hole - Nine Inch Nails


Not sure what to do with Piano Rock, but I'll try:
Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen
Tiny Dancer - Elton John
Ol' 55 - Tom Waits

Blues Rock. Disclaimer - This could easily get very long and I won't be able to narrow it down by song. Plus, you could easily make an argument that basically all rock is blues rock so again, it's tricky. So I'll just name a few obvious artists instead:
Led Zeppelin
Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Eric Clapton/Cream
Rolling Stones
Allman Bros.
The Animals

and more modern...
White Stripes
Black Keys

Phew. That was fun.

------

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess the problem with those genres is that I don't really listen to them with one exception. Metal is awesome and because I listen to Metal I am awesome. Some of the songs that can make you awesome if you listen to them are, Every Rose Has its Thorn by Poison, I Remember You By Skid Row, and anything Nelson ever wrote!!!