Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Beijing Olympics 2008 - What's going on here?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I've always been rather bored by the Olympics. Winter, summer, either way. Dream Team, Schmeam Team.  It baffles me that folks can be so passionate for Olympic sports.  Me? It's always been a bit bland.  Something changed this go-round for me.  For some odd reason, the current Olympics has me paying attention. Maybe I'm just caught up in Michael Phelps mania, and I am.  More peculiar is how I've found myself watching and enjoying (gasp!) gymnastics, volleyball, non-Phelps swimming races even. There's some serious drama going on in these things that just don't exist in other sporting forums. Amazing athletes playing for country, honor, pride, all that bullshit rather than the almighty dollar.  Is that it?  I don't know.  But seriously, Michael Phelps is the shit. Anyway, I just need to say how shocked I am by this development. Even the opening ceremonies were unusually impressive and engaging.  I blame my wife. She is the one who forced me to sit down and watch a Phelps race.  Now I'm hooked.

No comments: