Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Not very interesting.

Whew. I'm still coming out of the spell cast on me this evening by a certain man's hypnotic rhetoric that borders on childlike in its naive underpinnings and dichotomies (i.e. good v evil, democracy v tyranny, christian v islam, america v other, moral v immoral, blah, blah, blah). I react carrying certain personal opinions about the man and his beliefs, but truly, these State of the Union speeches are always the same regardless of the speaker. Who are they even for? Am I supposed to believe that there are people out there looking on this public address to figure out how we are doing and where we are headed as "a people" (a phrase and connotation I despise by the way)? Sheesh. The whole play is a farce. I understand that political rhetoric like the sort displayed tonight is a standard and successful MO. It is all very deliberate and a fundamental characteristic of politics in general. But it is annoying nonetheless. Then you have the endless clapping-standing-sitting that turns into some playground game (again childlike comes to mind) between the red side of the room vs the blue side. They are all a bunch of ninnies. I don't know why I even watch this sort of thing. I guess because I was expecting to watch Scrubs and maybe even Law & Order, but alas...

I apologize for ranting in a political vein. I understand that no one wants to read this kind of shit here but then again I didn't intend this blog to be purely in a superficial pop-culture mold. I'm pretty much operating in that genre now but I originally meant this to be just a forum for me to write whatever happens to be on my mind. Most of the time that involves music and/or movies, and often my dogs, but sometimes politics will just sneak in. So that's that.




Moving on to more substantive issues, the Oscar nominations were announced this morning. Nothing especially surprising but I should say that I'm more impressed than usual with the choices in the main categories. But since I'm already sick of year-end awards by this time, I'll just do a quick obligatory Oscar prediction right now and be done with it. This is who I think will win, not necessarily who I want to win:



Best Original Screenplay: Haggis, Moresco - Crash
Best Adapted Screenplay: Futterman - Capote
Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti - Cinderella Man
Best Supporting Actress: Rachel Weisz - The Constant Gardener
Best Actor: Heath Ledger - Brokeback Mountain
Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon - Walk the Line
Best Director: Ang Lee - Brokeback Mountain
Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain




Per Pitchfork, the final (and real) line-up for Coachella 2006 was released today. There's no way I'll make it out there but it does get me excited for the upcoming festival season. As always, we'll be attending the Austin City Limits Music Festival in September and Coachella is often a decent hint to some of the bands on showcase at ACL fest later in the year. Here's hoping this year that ACL trumps Coachella and snags Radiohead for its headliner!!

No comments: