Monday, December 19, 2005

Brokeback Mountain


Just caught Brokeback Mountain on Sunday. With all of the press on this film lately, my expectations were pretty high. It did not disappoint. I can now say that the film deserves all of its recent acclaim. To tell you the truth, I didn't find the whole "gay cowboy" subject matter all that groundbreaking or controversial. Maybe it is brave for a mainstream Hollywood movie. But the fact that these two characters who fall in love are men is besides the point. The real theme of this story goes beyond the particulars and is quite universal; and therein lies the anguish and power of the film. I'm referring to the denial and repression of one's passions (e.g. a true love, a career ambition, a dream of any kind) and how doing so just ends up eating you alive, until all you are left with is regret and bitterness. And then 20 years go by and you end up alone, in a trailer park, in Wyoming!! Heavy shit, right? This repression I'm talking about here is amazingly captured by Heath Ledger's tortured character. I didn't think Heath had this kind of performance in him, but it is a revelation. I know I'm prone to a bit of hyperbole, but I'm not kidding here, it is up there with some of the great acting performances of all time. He'll win the Oscar, believe you me. Anyway, go check it out.




Lists Galore!

No comments: