Sunday, November 05, 2006

Great expectations for Borat

I am just one of many who have been waiting with giddy anticipation for the release of Sacha Baron Cohen's feature-length epic Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan. As a well-versed fan of Cohen's Da Ali G Show, I have a good idea of what to expect, but I'd be lying to not tell you I'm a wee bit worried about how things are shaping up. First of all, you have these reviews, the most glowing of which are written by some very elite and well-respected critics. Then, you have the phenomenal box-office results. Universal acclaim AND strong box-office is a rare feat, my friend.

Anyone with a pulse has to admit that Borat looks to be hilarious, and I'm sure it is. But how often do you hear that a film is the 'funniest movie ever made?' Let me repeat, 'The Funniest Movie Ever Made.' I'm prone to hyperbole myself, but even so, that is a very bold statement. And yet I've read that very claim in several professional reviews! This worries me. As with most things, it all comes down to expectations. Who are we kidding? At this point, my expectations are so ridiculously high that I fear they're impossible to meet. I'm just saying that it ain't looking good. Expectations are powerful filters and can have startling effects on our experiences. So my worry is simply that it could be all over for me and Borat. Let's hope not. I hope to see it this week and I'll let you know. If any of you have seen it already, I'm curious to hear your impression. Funniest movie ever?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was awesome! I'll go with the funniest movies ever made!